Thursday, December 20, 2012

Will Schools Ever Be Obsolete?


Doesn't it seem like information is so amazingly, readily available that, at some point, schools will become a thing of the past?

For example, if I decide, today, that I want to learn how to learn more about arthropods, I could, today, find out more about arthropods.  In fact, available to me online are huge amounts of information and images and teaching modules and professionals and news and history...whew!  It's almost like I could teach myself about arthropods...


What do you think? 
 Is it a crazy idea? 
a possibility for the future?
 blasphemous? revolutionary?



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. While I think the need for schools as a source of education may become obsolete, I doubt the need for them as public child care will ever change.
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had thought of that particular effect at well.
      Thanks for the point.

      Delete
  2. I don't think schools have ever been the best way to impart information, there is much more to education than access to facts. I don't know much about Australian schools (having been home educated myself), but certainly in Japan where I work schools are the back bone of the community and teach so much more than "book learning".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think of it, the more certain I am that self-learning all of the way through the college years would be totally viable.
      I, myself, educated many years beyond high school and I am CERTAIN I could have educated myself as well or better than I got in college...and my college experiences were very good.
      So, yeah, I agree.
      *wink*

      Here in Australia, I notice that the schools and homeschooling are SO different in their design that it's difficult to compare to the US. So I won't.

      Delete

Leave a comment!